Four Alito Town Council LC2 Chairpersons Reported Over Alleged Restocking Funds Fraud

The officials are accused of allegedly using the names and identities of verified beneficiaries to withdraw compensation money without their knowledge or consent.

Four Alito Town Council LC2 Chairpersons Reported Over Alleged Restocking Funds Fraud
PDM Beneficiaries hold meeting to discuss matters concerning PDM

By Isaac Erick Odongo 

KOLE — Four LC2 Chairpersons from Alito Town Council in Kole District are set to record statements with police over allegations of irregularities in the distribution of government restocking compensation funds. 

The officials are accused of allegedly using the names and identities of verified beneficiaries to withdraw compensation money without their knowledge or consent.

 The allegations emerged during a meeting at Alito Town Council headquarters on Monday, August 17, where beneficiaries who had complained about the payments confronted officials over what they described as irregularities in the disbursement process.

Alito Town Council Mayor Benedict Obote told QFM that complaints had been received from all four wards, involving about 11 people who reportedly received compensation funds. According to Obote, nine of those who received the money were allegedly government employees, while three others were reportedly individuals from neighbouring districts.

In Tekidi Ward, Town Agent Dorcus Ekit and Veterinary Officer Emmanuel Enyabu are accused of collecting money using the names of Joshua Ogwang and Nancy Akello, despite the two beneficiaries reportedly not being present to receive the funds.

 In Owani-Adilo Ward, Town Clerk Rebecca Abonyo allegedly collected money in the name of Timothy Odongo, while Town Agent Okello Sam is accused of using the name of Wilson Omongo. Obote also cited the case of Sarah Apio, who allegedly consented to someone collecting money in the name of Grace Obote. Grace reportedly received only Shs250,000 out of the Shs5 million compensation due to her, leaving Shs4.75 million unpaid.

In Akor Ward, CDO Mistika Atiti allegedly used the name of Immaculate Anena to collect funds, while Town Agent Patrick Otim is accused of collecting money in the name of Awino Jenet.

 In Bua-Tyeno Ward, Town Agent George Okello allegedly used the name of Auma Anna, while Town Clerk Rebecca Abonyo is accused of collecting money in the name of Akello Sophia. The alleged beneficiaries, however, reportedly denied authorising the officials to collect the funds on their behalf. Obote described the allegations as serious and said they could point to wider failures in the management of the compensation programme.

He also questioned the alleged involvement of some former local leaders, including former Alito Town Council LC3 chairperson Moses Ojok, in payments that were reportedly collected using names that did not correspond with the rightful beneficiaries. 

Obote directed Alito Town Council staff to ensure that government funds meant for restocking and other compensation programmes reach the rightful beneficiaries. He said local leaders have a responsibility to safeguard public funds and ensure that the compensation programme achieves its intended purpose.

 Alito Town Council councillor Tamali Auma, who represents women at the district, urged government officials and local leaders to strictly follow guidelines governing the compensation programme. Tamali also called for beneficiaries who have lodged complaints to be assisted in recovering any money that may have been wrongly taken from them.

Another councillor, Charles Okello, called on government officials to ensure that compensation funds withheld from beneficiaries are recovered and paid to the rightful recipients. Okello, who represents Bua-Tyeno Ward at LC2 level, said local leaders had already raised concerns with government officials but had been reluctant to pursue the matter aggressively over fears that some could lose their jobs.

Following Monday's meeting, the nine officials implicated in the complaints are expected to report to Kole Central Police Station within five days to respond to the allegations. The allegations come amid the government's restocking programme targeting people in the Lango, Acholi and Teso sub-regions whose livestock was lost during the insurgency.

The government earmarked funds to compensate verified beneficiaries for cattle, goats, sheep and pigs lost during the insurgency. However, the programme has faced delays and administrative challenges, including difficulties encountered by beneficiaries in meeting documentation requirements.